SEPTEMBER 16th – 30th 2023:
YOGA, MEDITATION & SERVICE RETREAT
Our signature retreat focusing on connection to oneself in nature, cultural activities and immersion in our school
*option for pre-retreat sightseeing to the Golden Triangle (Delhi, Jaipur, Agra – Taj Mahal) September 12-16th
Two Week Immersive Experiences in the Lap of Mother Nature
Spreading the Spirit from the Himalayas
Not your usual yoga retreat. A life transforming experience in the remote Indian Himalayas, this experience is for those who have a calling for deep dive into the lap of mother nature, a desire for immersive practice, and a wish for life long connections and memories. This yoga retreat is meant to capture the essence of true spiritual sadhana or practice within the rich culture of the Garhwal Himalayas. Participants will have the unique opportunity to serve at our mindful and holistic primary school. Unlike boutique yoga retreats which are disconnected from the local culture they are placed in, ours is meant to inspire simplicity, respect for others and environment and humility. Feel a part of true Himalayan culture and homes. Through the experiences of dozens of participants we can easily say that these retreats make a big impact – They are meant to give respect to the origins of Yoga and the transformative power of the Himalayas.
About APV School
Our main stay and service will be at APV School (SBMA Campus) in the Garhwal Himalayas find it on the map!
We are a mindful community nestled in the Indian Himalayas in Garhwal region, Uttarakhand. We live, meditate, farm, trek, make music and run a school together. Our school is situated in the Shri Bhuveneshwari Mahila Ashram (SBMA) campus, a well known local Garhwali NGO that has been running since the 1970s to provide a safe haven for women and children and support the livelihoods of the local people.
APV School is a model school and teacher training center dedicated to providing a holistic, mindful and inclusive education to the children of Uttarakhand for the last 17 years.
Find out more about our school on our website or watch our documentary film here
YOGA: Practicing Yoga in Dev Bhumi or the Land of the Gods gives one a real connection to the roots of the Yoga tradition and the countless sages and saints who did their tapas deep in the recesses of the Himalayas. We will be practicing Classical Hatha, Vinyasa Krama, Pranayama Techniques and Restorative Yoga
MEDITATION: The natural fresh and pure environment provides ample prana, life force, for one to go deep into meditation. The qualities of simplicity and humility are enhanced here to aid one in accessing a space of deep inner joy and radiance, away from the ego drives and fast pace of modern life
SERVICE: Giving service at APV School invites participants to truly develop meaningful connections and relationships with local children and teachers, as well as utilize the retreat as a means to experience one’s own transformation through the act of karma yoga. The mindful educators retreat includes extra sessions in education philosophy and engagement with the school and founder Anand Dwivedi
CULTURAL IMMERSION: Almost every day consists of a new adventure – whether a visit to a local temple, a hindi lesson, a village walk, planting seeds, boating on the lake, discussions of meditation, a jungle trek, cooking lessons etc, our retreat is focused on participants fully engaging with their environment so that the imprint of the retreat lasts a lifetime
*Please note, the use of intoxicants is not allowed during retreat
** Our retreats are family friendly!
- Option to Arrive on the 12th for the Pre-Retreat Golden Triangle Tour (see below)
- Sept 16th – Arrival in Delhi by afternoon (if arriving earlier, please let us know); check-in to hotel; welcome dinner
- Sept 17th – Travel to the Himalayas (this is a long day) – Early morning train to Haridwar; Lunch in Rishikesh with light shopping; Jeep to retreat site with night arrival; Light dinner at retreat site
- Sept 18th – Sept 27th – Retreat at APV School, Anjanisain, Uttarakhand
- Sept 27th – 29th – Rishikesh Excursion: Visit, Meditate and Dip at the Holy Ganga River, Attend the evening aarti, option for Ayurvedic Treatments, etc.
- Sept 29th – Evening train to Delhi
- Sept 30th – Departure to Home. If you wish to visit the Taj Mahal or spend more time in Delhi, please book your ticket after 10pm on the 24th or the next day
SAMPLE RETREAT SCHEDULE
REGISTRATION + INVESTMENT
Early Registration by May 1st, 2023 (Save $200):
- Shared Room: $2050
Regular Registration After May 1st 2023:
- Shared Room: $2250
Previous Participants (who have come on any Simply Himalaya Retreat):
- Shared Room: $1850
Single Room Supplement – $375
For more information:
*25% of all retreat profits are donated to Simply Himalaya Education Fund which supports APV School
* Payment Plans Available, Financial Support Available for BIPOC & Those Undergoing Systemic Discrimination
* For those coming from non-1st world countries – please contact me for differential pricing
- Transfers to/from Delhi to Retreat Site
- Airport transfer via the hotel in Delhi
- Accommodations in Delhi and Rishikesh: double occupancy (single occupancy available for additional fee)
- Simple Double Accommodation at Retreat Site
- Yoga/Meditation (Twice Daily)
- All Cultural and Environmental Activities including Guided Treks, Village Visits, Temple Visits, Cooking Classes and more at retreat site
- In School Immersion
EXTRAS TO PLAN FOR:
- 30 Day e-Visa (~$25)
- Most Meals in Rishikesh & Delhi (breakfast included in Delhi)
- Tips for Guides, Cooks Drivers etc. (~$50)
- Optional travel to Taj Mahal on last day from Delhi (Entrance fees, tour and food at Taj Mahal)
- Optional 4 night Golden Triangle Tour before each retreat
GOLDEN TRIANGLE PRE-TOUR (DELHI – JAIPUR – AGRA)
***pre-tour will run if we have minimum 4 participants***
Khushi Malhotra (USA & India); E-RYT, YACEP, MSW, MPH
Khushi received her training from the Himalayan Institute, the spearhead humanitarian organization of Swami Rama of the Himalayas, where she lived for 18 months. Her love of the Himalayan masters brought her right to their holy feet. She has been with APV School for more than 10 years, and has been teaching Yoga for 13. Her style is rooted in the Tantras, classical yoga sutras and vedanta, hatha yoga, and the teachings of the Buddha. She loves to wander around nature, and play with kids and animals any chance she gets.
Mohan Panwar (Anjanisain, Uttarakhand, India)
Mohan is a native of the Himalayas and has lots of experience taking people deep into the grandeur and peace of the Himalayas. Growing up himself as a child of the local ashram, he has dedicated his life to helping children less advantaged find the care and love they so desperately need. He helped start APV school and has been a mindful educator for over 17 years. He will serenade you with his flute while taking you on hikes, and make you laugh with his wonderful stories. As he likes to say, “Discover Yourself in the Himalayas!”